Do you want to learn more about laser hair removal benefits? If so, then read on as we are going to talk about the pros and cons of laser hair removal in this article.
Before you learn about laser hair removal benefits, let us talk about the basics of the procedure first.
What Is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal is a type of cosmetic procedure performed by plastic surgeons and board certified aesthetic specialists in order to permanently reduce the amount of hair growing in a certain area of the body with just minimal risk as compared to other procedures. Because of this, it has become exceedingly popular through the years as a way of removing unwanted hair in the chin, arms, and underarms, not only for women but for men as well.
As you may have guessed already, laser hair removal involves the use of specialized lasers that emit heat energy just enough to damage hair follicles in the problem area. Once this follicles get damaged, they will find it hard to produce hair in the future, and at times, they just stop producing hair altogether.
There are different types of laser and each type deploys a different wavelength. The results depend on the skin type of the patient, of course. Hence, it is not surprising that a lot of laser hair removal Westlake Village California services rely on multiple specialized lasers to get the desired results of permanent hair removal.
Is It Expensive?
The laser hair removal cost will also depend on the type of skin, the kind of laser the aesthetic specialist will use, and the number of sessions it will take for a specific patient to get his or her desired results. Since every patient’s needs and goals are different from each other, it is advised for you to go through a consultation first in order to get a more specific calculation on the cost of the procedure.
What Is IPL?
Because of the popularity of the procedure, it would not be a surprise if you have heard of the IPL Laser hair reduction treatment already. It is a similar with laser hair technology, but the main difference is the number of wavelengths. Lasers used in hair removal treatments typically only use a single wavelength. IPL, or intense pulsed light, however involves the use of multiple wavelengths, from between 500 to more than a thousand nanometers that spread across the skin to do its hair removal wonders.
What Are The Laser Hair Removal Benefits?
Now that we have already discussed the basics of laser hair removal technology let us now move on to talk about the different laser hair removal benefits.
- The treatment is relatively safe with minimal side effects. It is still advisable to ask the opinion of your plastic surgeon or dermatologist if laser hair removal is fit for you aesthetic needs because the treatment usually works best for light skin with darker hair, and not so effective to those with light or blonde hair. But other than that, the treatment is tried and tested as safe, even as treatment for sensitive areas like around the eyes and mouth.
- Treatment sessions are short. The usual length of a single treatment session only takes fifteen minutes long, especially if the area only involves the face. Of course, this would depend on how big the surface is. Obviously, the wider the area the longer the treatment would take.
- It is an effective way to get rid of unwanted hair. As what we have already mentioned above, lasers damage the hair follicles so it takes the longest time for them to grow back as compared to other hair removal treatments. In some cases, it even effectively removes hair permanently! Also, one of the most impressive laser hair removal benefits is the fact that once the hair does regrow after treatment, the outcome will be thinner and finer hair.
- It is painless as compared to other hair removal procedures. Waxing is still one of the most popular ways to remove unwanted hair but let’s face it, waxing is painful. And so is plucking, threading, and electrolysis. The only feeling that you would most likely feel during a laser hair removal session is a prickly feeling in the treatment area, and even that is numbed down by an anaesthetic cream.
- Finally, the laser hair removal treatment results in a much smoother skin surface! Just take a look at the numerous laser hair removal before and after pictures you can find online to see the actual results for yourself.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Getting A Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
- One of the primary disadvantages of getting a laser hair removal treatment is the cost. As compared to waxing and other hair removal treatments, laser hair removal undoubtedly costs more. However, given the benefits, the price is actually worth every single penny.
- Another disadvantage that people might complain about laser hair treatments is the fact that it could take a couple of sessions before you see your progress. You may have to undergo multiple sessions before you get the results you want.
- Finally, as what we have explained above, another disadvantage is that it works on a specific type of skin and hair color. Those with lighter hair would not enjoy the benefits of this treatment as compared to those with darker hair. It is also important to note that it only works on the hair that is currently growing, so there is a possibility of hair regrowth even after the treatment.
In the end, it is still up to you whether you would like to try this hair removal treatment. Let us leave you a word of advice though. You may only enjoy these wonderful laser hair removal benefits if the procedure is done by a certified laser technician. Some laser centers offer cheaper services, but leaving this treatment to be done by untrained hands may lead to nasty burns or scars. Laser treatment is also not taught in medical school so even doctors would still require training and certification. Hence, make sure to ask if the specialist who will handle your treatment is properly certified before any procedure is done.